Photo. Kit Miller

Sunday 6 May 2012

Immortelles

In this area there are still a lot of the glass domes containing porcelain flowers which were once left on graves. Most of them have a wire cover and many have broken, but surprisingly some are still
intact. I don't have a morbid fascination with grave yards but they are very interesting places, both historically and visually.


I was looking at the idea of  preserving flowers, such as pressing and drying them, when I remembered the Immortelles in the graveyards. There is something of Miss Haversham's bouquet about them, which gave me the idea of tying the dried flowers in little bunches. It is very inspiring but potentially quite a heavy and unsettling area to look into. For me it has a lot to do with the flowers themselves and the preservation of species and so on and our fear of losing the familiar.



Having picked daisies from the graveyards where I photographed the porcelain flowers, I dried some of them and pressed others. I think that they will become part of little books or boxes of some kind.


I also photographed some flowers from the garden, which look lovely when they are dried. The abundance of plants, both wild and cultivated, at this time of year is so inspiring.



Photos. Lynnette Miller


.

No comments:

Post a Comment